Tuesday, July 1, 2008

It's almost time for one of my favorite holidays, the 4th of July. The family gets together at the park in Carnation where we set up for the big fireworks show. And I really mean set up for it. My brother-in-law and I are licensed pyrotechnicians and we put on the display that the town of Carnation sponsors. There is nothing like a 3" mortar launching next to you... unless it is a 4" mortar going off next to you :>) The family sets up the shelters in the best spot for viewing the fireworks while Thayne and myself, and a few others, unload the truck at the launch site. While we unload the boxes of fireworks we visualize the show we want to do, and select a few shells for special effects. After setting up the boxes, we load the shells into the tubes and start wiring the mid-show volleys and the grand finale. This constitutes about 200 or so shells in several set pieces that are ready to launch as soon as we light them. The finale is my favorite part of the show. After the show we have to spend an hour or so cleaning up, then the hour long drive back home, smelling of cordite and smoke. Ah, love that smell :>)

No comments: