Monday, January 7, 2008

Since my last post, two more of our dear church members have died. The latest one I received notice of today. My wife, who handles most of the memorial service organizing, is having a hard time of it, too. I will say a prayer for comfort and peace for her tonight. The suddenness of all of this, after so many years of very few deaths, is startling, to say the least. I preached twice in a row, the 30th and the 6th, on Sunday evenings. The texts were from Philippians 3 and 4. Paul tells us to rejoice in the Lord always. Very difficult to do in these times. I think I am going to close now and pray.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi IT, silverlings here. I like your blog, maybe I will start one.
In 2000 I lost my mother and my best friend within 6 months of each other. My brother died the same weekend that Steve Irwin did.
Then several dear friends at church went also.
It certainly is strange getting older and experiencing all of this.
Still though, I find so much joy in each day even knowing what little I do about life and the crazy world around us.
I know that Christians live in a spiritual dimension literally in God's prescence, and what a gift it is when sad tidings and circumstances befall us.
Take care old friend, I will kiss a longhorn for you, lol

Boompa said...

Death is hard to accept, but it is a natural part of, well, so say life, but I say it is a natural part of sin. We die because we are sinners, there's no way around that. But death is part of our life, too. Through God's grace we can live knowing the best part is to come. As Paul said in his letter to the Philippians, to live is Christ and to die is GAIN. How glorious is that!